Thursday, August 5, 2010

Be careful what you wish for...

So it turns out that the universe does indeed move in mysterious ways, and perhaps does actually listen to the things we say... the laws of attraction, perhaps. Either that, or I jinxed myself.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10-years-old. My eyeglass 'fashion' has run the gamut from petite tortoise-shell sized just right for my little face, to glasses that did more to magnify every pore on my cheeks than help me to see better. Needless to say, those were not my prettiest years (let's just burn those Jr. High School photos). In spite of all this, however, I have never really hated my glasses per se, but rather have come to see them as a fashion opportunity. The fact that glasses morphed into a 'hip' accessory over the past 10 years hasn't hurt. When you have designers like Dolce & Gabbana and Versace to choose from, how far wrong can you go... assuming your pocketbook stretches like an elastic band, that is.

Let's face it, glasses are expensive, even if you aren't as blind as a bat like me. So this brings me around to the heart of the matter. About six months ago I decided it was time for some new glasses. I took a deep breath, opened the wallet up wide, and forked out a pile of money for lovely new specs. At the time, the optometrist suggested laser eye correction, which I had considered years ago and dismissed as being too creepy (lasers... eyes... ugh!). This time, however, the suggestion gave me pause, and I told him I would seriously consider it again if only because of the crippling financial burden of buying new glasses, getting contacts for sports and special occassions, lense solution, etc., etc. A seed is planted...

Fast forward to one month ago. I am getting out of bed one morning and what do I do? The unthinkable. I step on my glasses! I NEVER step on my glasses. I am anal about keeping them safe, and yet step on them I did. Big scratch across one lense. My immediate thought at the time, "I should just get laser eye surgery and be done with glasses". What?!? Where did that come from? Now watered, the little seed of an idea now began to grow...

I figured that since I was not immediately turned off by the idea, that perhaps it would be worth investigating. I have a number of friends and acquaintences who have had the surgery and all of them swear that it is life changing. The fact is, I don't feel like it will change my life, but I think it will simplify things for me and that is as good a reason as any that I can think of. After all, the good doctors have been at this for a fairly long time at this point, and I am imagining they have perfected the technique by now! And so, taking my cue from an ad on my local radio station, I call the newest location of a well-known clinic in Toronto and book an assessment... and promptly lose my glasses in the bottom of my lake over the long weekend.

I would say the plant has bloomed, and I am following the advice being sent to me from above... I am booked for laser eye surgery next Tuesday. Wish me luck, and I hope to see you soon... literally!

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow Whitby resident and yogi, I just stumbled across your blog! So....how did the surgery go. At 42 I have often thought of it ($ 500 a pair of glasses hurts...) but like you find the concept hard to swallow.
    Would love to hear your thoughts on the surgery knowing your initial reservations.

    ReplyDelete