Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Life's not fair...

Humans are born, they live, and then they die. I get this... truly, I do. But it is oh so much more painful to experience this first hand than it is to conceptualize it. So much harder to explain, when the theory becomes a reality.

My beloved Grandmother (Grandma 'S' to some, Great-grandma to my babies) is dying. Given that she is pushing 90, one could say that she has been dying for quite some time, and one would be right. But until a month ago it still seemed like maybe she would live forever. That we would have more time to visit, to be with her, to enjoy her. Sadly, cancer is going to claim another victim and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it.

Kishino (Sasaki) Sakiyama is 89-years-old, lives on her own in Winnipeg, and has been one of THE most important people in my life. She has survived war, cruel internment by her own government, the deaths of her brother, her sisters, and her husband, but she won't survive this. It seems so unfair, really, that someone so strong in mind and spirit is being failed by her physical self. And worse yet, it is going to take its sweet time doing it. She is going to suffer, and that just doesn't seem right.

I am angry.

My heart is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment