Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Resistance is futile...

Well I have finally done it. I have taken my first steps towards finally understanding social media and how to apply it as a marketing channel for business. I am still not entirely convinced that it will be relevant and/or useful for the company (we provide very back-end services), but I am willing to at least educate myself on the topic.

I am not at all social media savvy. Heck, I can hardly get around my own facebook page never mind creating one to drive busines. But if there is one thing I have learned over the years, what we resist persists. I have not really explored the growing world of social media, but I am being encouraged (read: mandated) by the higher-ups at my organization to get the company 'out there'. And right off the hop, my answer has been NO.

My instinctive (and irrational?) negative reaction to the idea of adopting this new communication method has given me pause. Any time I find myself vehemently opposed to something, it often indicates that I am being pushed outside of my comfort zone. When I dig a bit deeper, I recognize that it is my lack of knowledge that is at the root of my resistance. And so, thanks to Leslie Hughes at Punch! Media, I am going to educate myself on the ins and outs of LinkedIn, Facebook, and Blogging once and for all... or give it the old college try at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment